Comprehensive tax reform is critical to fixing the debt. Here are some helpful resources to help grasp this important topic.
The tax system explained in charts. Who pays taxes? Where does the money go? These and other questions are answered in a few easy-to-understand charts.
See the tax system and the need for reform explained in short Tax Videos.
Our Tax Inforgraphic has more information, like the fact that the tax code has almost 4 million words.
Share our Taxpayer Receipt showing where your federal tax dollars go.
The Need for Fundamental Tax Reform shows the need to overhaul our tax code.
The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget has 5 Principles for Tax Reform to ensure that reform grows the economy and helps fix the debt.
Tax reform must help fix the debt. At the very least it can't add to the national debt. See Five Reasons to Pay for Tax Reform from the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget.
The Corporate Tax Reform Calculator from CRFB allows you to design your own corporate tax plan.
The Tax Break-Down blog series from CRFB examines specific areas of the tax code that are ripe for reform.
Tax Reform Proposals
- House Republican Tax Reform Plan (2016)
- Donald Trump Tax Reform Plan (2015)
- Senate Finance Committee Bipartisan Tax Working Group Reports (2015)
- Rubio-Lee plan (2015)
- Tax Reform Act of 2014 (Rep. Dave Camp bill) (2014)
- Simpson-Bowles Bipartisan Path Forward
- President Advisory Panel on Tax Reform (2005)
- Wyden-Coats (originally introduced as Wyden-Gregg in 2010)
- Center for American Progress (2012)
- American Enterprise Institute (2011)
- Heritage Foundation (2011)
- Roosevelt Institute Campus Network (2011)
- Economic Policy Institute (2010)
- Rep. Rangel Tax Reform Bill (2007)
- Joint Committee on Taxation
- Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center
- Congressional Budget Office Revenue Options
- Government Accountability Office
- Tax Foundation
Op-eds on Tax Reform
- Erskine Bowles and Alan Simpson "Blank Slate" Key to Tax Reform
- Laura Tyson, Eric Drabkin, and Ken Serwin Which Corporate Taxation for America
- Tim Penny and Mark Kennedy Tax Reform: A Real Possibility and Necessity
- Eugene Steuerle The Baucus-Hatch "Blank Slate" Approach to Tax Reform Could Be Revolutionary
- Laura Tyson How to Cut the US Deficit by Fixing Tax
- Laura Tyson Inside America's Tax Battle
- Bill Frenzel The Tax Code is a Hopeless, Complex, Economy-Suffocating Mess
- Paul Weinstein and Ed Lorenzen Tax Reform: 25-Years Old Today, and Ready for a Facelift
- Maya MacGuineas Tax Reform Can Be the Key to a Debt Deal