Fix the Debt is committed to preserving your privacy and safeguarding your sensitive information. The following statement describes our general information-gathering and usage practices.
- Fix the Debt is a nonpartisan program of The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget.
- Fix the Debt follows all state and federal guidelines protecting user information.
- Fix the Debt does not target minors as customers or activists, and does not intentionally collect information from people under 13 years of age.
- Fix the Debt does not sell, trade or release your e-mail address to outside third parties unless they are named partners on a given project, are the recipients of a petition or citizen action you have signed, or service partners subject to a non-disclosure agreement.
- Fix the Debt uses your e-mail address and/or site registration information to communicate with you in the future.
- Fix the Debt may sell or trade mailing lists containing your name and street address, but will only do so in compliance with the terms of any third party service through which your information was acquired. Over time we will want to communicate with you via e-mail to inform you about new features and content on our site and to make you aware of special events.
- You can opt out of receiving any communication from us by following the opt-out instructions in our e-mails. Alternatively, you can opt out of receiving communications from us here http://act.fixthedebt.org/page/unsubscribe/.
- If Fix the Debt enters into a merger, acquisition, sale of all or a portion of its assets, or other transfer of assets in the unlikely event of an insolvency, bankruptcy or receivership, your information will also be transferred as one of the assets of Fix the Debt.
- Fix the Debt may track information on which site pages are being visited and used so we can make decisions about the design and usage of our site.
- "Cookies" are bits of information that are stored by your browser on your hard drive. This technology allows you to save your password so you don't have to re-enter it each time you visit our site, and remembers you when you take action on our site. Fix the Debt uses "cookies" to identify return visitors. You can turn off the "cookie" function through most standard browsers.
- Fix the Debt and/or its third-party service providers may provide aggregate information such as the number of users who visit a particular linked site to other parties.
- Fix the Debt may place small pieces of computer code on our site pages and in our emails to facilitate personalized transactions.
- To protect the security of your personal information, we use SSL software, which encrypts provided and transmitted information. Whenever Fix the Debt handles information that you enter on our site, regardless of where this occurs, we take steps to ensure that your information is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy & Security Policy. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, Fix the Debt cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems.
- Our site may link to other information sites. Each of these sites has its own privacy practices and any information you share with these sites is subject to their policies and practices and is independent of Fix the Debt.
- Our site has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control.
- In the event of a judicial or governmental inquiry, Fix the Debt will release personally identifiable information pursuant to a subpoena, court order, or emergency request only.
- This policy may be changed from time to time. Please refer to the effective date of the policy to determine whether changes have been introduced. To inquire about the content of such changes, or if you have any questions about this Privacy & Security Policy, the practices of the Fix the Debt site, please contact:
Effective July 17, 2012