Washington avoided the fiscal cliff, but that’s no reason to celebrate. Our latest ad sums it up.
We don’t think it’s time for standing ovations and slaps on the back. Yes, our elected leaders agreed to a last-minute deal to avert the fiscal cliff – but they haven’t actually solved anything yet.
A statement from Fix the Debt co-chairs Michael Bloomberg, Ed Rendell and Judd Gregg and Campaign leader Maya MacGuineas goes further in expressing how little was accomplished.
Tuesday night's rather inglorious end to the fiscal cliff fiasco simply reinforces how difficult it is for the President and Congress to undertake substantive action to alleviate our nation’s massive and reckless deficit and debt situation. The result of last night’s action is that a self-imposed deadline – the purpose of which was to address our debt problem – was turned into action that essentially solved nothing and did little more than kick the can down the road.
It’s time for collaborating, not celebrating.
- Congress Needs an Extension on Tax Reform 04/15/2014
- New Budget Numbers Tell the Same Story, We Still Need… 04/14/2014
- Lots of Budget Plans, But Little Agreement on A Way… 04/14/2014
- Citizen Leaders Raise Their Voices 04/08/2014
- Promoting Discussion and Solutions Across the Country 04/07/2014