The college football bowl season will soon begin. But another bowl season is underway. Call it the ‘Bowles Bowl.’
Both sides of the fiscal cliff debate are seeking Fix the Debt co-founder Erskine Bowles’ favor in the negotiations. Bowles visited with both the White House and congressional leaders last week.
When House Speaker John Boehner offered a proposal this week to avoid the fiscal cliff, he called it the ‘Bowles Plan’ because it was based on a suggested compromise Bowles forwarded during the failed Super Committee deliberations. Bowles distanced himself from the Boehner proposal in a statement, but also noted that “Every offer put forward brings us closer to a deal.” Compare the plans here.
With the news that both sides are renewing talks, let’s hope that more offers get put on the table.
- The Party’s Over 03/05/2014
- President’s Fiscal Year 2015 Budget, the Good and the Bad 03/05/2014
- White House Budget; What Should Be In It? 03/03/2014
- New Plan Moves Tax Reform Forward 02/26/2014
- Retreating on Military Retirement Reform 02/25/2014