The college football bowl season will soon begin. But another bowl season is underway. Call it the ‘Bowles Bowl.’
Both sides of the fiscal cliff debate are seeking Fix the Debt co-founder Erskine Bowles’ favor in the negotiations. Bowles visited with both the White House and congressional leaders last week.
When House Speaker John Boehner offered a proposal this week to avoid the fiscal cliff, he called it the ‘Bowles Plan’ because it was based on a suggested compromise Bowles forwarded during the failed Super Committee deliberations. Bowles distanced himself from the Boehner proposal in a statement, but also noted that “Every offer put forward brings us closer to a deal.” Compare the plans here.
With the news that both sides are renewing talks, let’s hope that more offers get put on the table.
- The Other Deadline 04/16/2014
- Congress Needs an Extension on Tax Reform 04/15/2014
- New Budget Numbers Tell the Same Story, We Still Need… 04/14/2014
- Lots of Budget Plans, But Little Agreement on A Way… 04/14/2014
- Citizen Leaders Raise Their Voices 04/08/2014